CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, July 20, 2008

A Restraining Order

So I went to give blood the other day. I'm sure everyone's familiar with the process: you read a pamphlet and then get taken behind this tiny screen for interrogation. It's top secret and very invasive. And then you walk out and sit in the next line to actually donate your blood. Then you get treats. Voila. You've given life and you've received Oreos. I can't think of a better way to spend an hour. Once or twice, however, I've gone behind the tiny screen and walked out in shame because they didn't want my blood. I didn't get to go to the next line and I certainly didn't get a complimentary juice box (except once they took pity on me.) It's a very awkward feeling. Everybody sees you come out from behind the screen and they know what questions you have been asked. And they are left to wonder either what act of promiscuity you have committed or when you traveled covertly out of the country and lived in Africa for three years, because nobody remembers you doing that. Meanwhile, you are walking the long walk of shame back to your car, publicly circumventing all other stations.
Well, once I was denied because I had had some flu symptoms a couple days previously. Oops. And once I was denied because my iron count was too low. But last week I was denied for a whole new reason that must have been proportionately worse because this time, they made me sign a contract, promising that I wouldn't come back for a year. Really?! A contract? Do you really think I'm going to FORCE my blood upon someone when you feel it is TAINTED?! Yes, I have been restrained from the Red Cross. If I try to give blood again, who knows what will happen? Maybe they'll draw a red A on me like Hester. Or maybe, it will be even worse. Maybe they'll make me sign a contract that says I'll never have a fig newton again! Or juice and oreos! That would be devastating. In the meantime I guess I'll keep my blood to myself.

11 comments:

mastermind said...

I love that they made you sign a contract promising not to try and peddle your blood again for a year.
I feel like maybe I should write a contract up too and get you to sign it. Obviously you are intent on giving away your tainted wares and I need to protect myself. If Red Cross thinks you're a danger well...you must be.
....And if you sign my contract in blood I will NOT be happy about it.

CompTron said...

kelly, seriously, what scandalous act of promiscuity did you commit - or did you step on a rusty nail? get bitten by a malaria-ridden mosquito?

it's too bad i wasn't around with my trusty stethoscope; i probably could've warned you about your blood issues.

Sara Ellis said...

It's okay. In high school the Red Cross sent me a letter requesting I never give blood again. I'm still not exactly sure why.

Maybe I should try again?

Kelly said...

Wendy, how did I taint my blood for a year? Like a fool I poked myself with a contaminated needle at work. Oops. But I totally forgot about this incident when I signed up to donate. Sara, let's try again together on my year mark in May when I'm legal again. And Mehgan, there is a blood stained contract in your closet. Muah haha...

Hannah said...

Oh man, I'm not allowed to give blood either! At least I think I'm not. Ok, my last experience trying to give blood was for myself (SELFISH) right before my surgery where I was gently informed that my blood was subpar, and I should take the opportunity to get some decent blood for a change. I've had a blood inferiority complex for years as a result. Hmm, after writing this story I sort of feel like I should ask someone if I'm allowed to donate noopw. I'll bring it up at the next IHOP meeting.

Hannah said...

noopw? i swear that said "now" before I clicked publish. Blogger is trying to make a fool of me!

Rob and Mare said...

Haha, love it! Something like that would only happen to my Kelly.:) How would it be to spend a day in your shoes.

Dawney said...

A contract? As an act of solidarity, I vow to never give my blood to the Red Cross! (that and the fact that needles scare me more than most natural disasters).
And just so you know a few truths about the fourth floor;
1. We will always have Oreos and Orange Juice for you,
2. We will take your blood anytime you want to give it, and
3. We will never make you walk to your car in shame and disgrace.

Kelly said...

Dawney,

Your kindness touches me. I will be picking up the designated snacks in September when I'm back in Utah.

With love,

Kelly

The Cassity's said...

The last time I gave a decent amount of blood for a blood draw, I passed out, so I am afraid to go and donate. I am impressed that you even went. I am sorry that you couldn't donate though. Maybe when the restraining order is up, or you will end up like me and just be afraid to give blood.

Leah said...

Your shame, though unfortunate, made for some incredibly entertaining blogging material. I'm sorry, Kelly. Very sorry and very, very, very amused. By the way -- Meg, will you please add my name to your blood-stained contract? I mean, since it's already written out and everything...just make sure you wear some thick latex gloves when you're handling it, please.