CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Medical Emergencies You Should Know About

So I'm a camp nurse right now, and let me tell you, we have been having some exciting times! I get phone calls and worried reports from counselors and girls about bleeding, fainting, nausea, etc., and from all the excitement surrounding these complaints I can't help but think, "This must be serious!" So we (there are two nurses) jump into good old Mable (a '99 black beauty of a Maxima that is our temporary ambulance) and rush to the trauma scene. I drive like a mad woman and the other nurse, Amber, leans her head out the window and makes siren noises. (Okay, so we haven't actually made the noises yet, but we're really tempted.) When we arrive we find the following emergencies that require our immediate attention:
1. Stomach aches
2. Dry throats
3. Blistered heels
4. Headaches
5. Mosquito bites
I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "I've had one of those before and I never even went to the doctor!" Well, maybe you should have. Because when it happens here at camp it requires a medical professional as asap as possible.
Next time you experience one of these symptoms, call me. I am a nurse and will give you the number to the emergency room. If I don't answer, continue about your business as usual, and you'll be just fine. Probably.

8 comments:

Hannah said...

Oh man! Where are you camp counselering? If its somewhere in Big Bear I bet I totally went to that camp. But I must say, thats kind of a tough commute for you. Meanwhile, I'm SO excited you have a blog! As soon as I figure out what happened to my sidebars I'm linking you!

mastermind said...

I have two mosquito bites and a dull headache. How close to death am I?

Carly said...

Drama, drama, drama. You've got to love those scary mosquito bites. I feel your pain when it comes to non-emergency situations that cause people to freak out in a very un-needed way!

The Cassity's said...

Don't give them the number to the ER!!! I work there and have seen dumber stuff than that. Isn't it amazing what some people consider an emergency and what other people ignore as an emergency.I bet you are a great camp nurse though.

CompTron said...

kelly, this is the reason why i ALWAYS carry my stethoscope around. you never know when you're going to have a mosquito bite that warrants an immediate heart check.

Brett & Dyana Valdez said...

You crack me up Kelly . How is school coming... are you still in school...In your next life you should become a writer. You make Me laugh so hard. Life her in Utah is good. Brett and I are in the proccess of building a house. My job is SUPER challenging for me and it is a love/hate relationship right now. Hope you are doing well.

Dyana Valdez (AKA martin)

Kylee said...

That is hilarious! I can just see you rushing to the scene. I love you and miss you like crazy! This is a fun way to remind me of just how much I love you!

Luke and Tiff said...

Good thing I am re-entering the workforce this week--nurses are in high demand